Climate Adaptation Summit 2021: Accelerating Adaptation Action
25-26 JANUARY 2021 – ONLINE WORLDWIDE
Our planet is getting warmer, which has a growing impact on our societies and economies. We need to adapt to a new, more extreme climate.
At the online international Climate Adaptation Summit (CAS) 2021 on 25 and 26 January, hosted by the Netherlands, global leaders will launch a comprehensive Adaptation Action Agenda. It will set out clear commitments to deliver concrete new endeavours and partnerships to make our world more resilient to the effects of climate change.
Over the course of 24 hours, a range of events streamed from time zones across the globe will inspire change and support tangible solutions to the problems of a warming world, showing how we can achieve a climate-resilient future.
The Climate Adaptation Summit (CAS) 2021 will consist of several complementary components over a 24-hour cycle starting Monday 25 January, to reach a global audience in spite of any ongoing COVID‑19‑related travel and meeting limitations.
The Anchoring Events at the backbone of the programme are to develop the CAS 2021 Action Themes. There are 11 of these Action Themes, 4 of which are ‘cross-cutting’, as follows:
- Accelerating African Adaptation
The African continent is on the frontline of climate change, with impacts already being felt. Therefore, its importance is reflected throughout CAS 2021.
- Finance & Investment
Finance is critical to accelerating climate adaptation efforts at building global resilience to worsening climate impacts.
- Youth Leadership
Since those who are young today will feel climate change impact more, their involvement in adaptation is imperative. That is why Youth Leadership, a central driver of the Adaptation Action Agenda and its implementation, will resonate in all CAS 2021 events.
- Locally Led Adaptation
Local communities are most affected by climate change and engaging in climate resilience in all fields and themes of CAS 2021.
More on the CAS 2021 programme
- In the build-up to the online conference, various stakeholders will prepare contributions at Supporting Events.
- The Opening Session for invited dignitaries in the Netherlands will be streamed worldwide with Heads of State and Government joining in person or online.
- At Anchoring Events streamed from various time zones, stakeholders will develop actions on specific thematic areas, combining the knowledge and needs of different regions.
- Responsible members of government in participating countries will share their views on climate adaptation action during an online Ministerial Dialogue.
- Side Events initiated by third parties worldwide will bring together perspectives of relevant actors and communities.