Transforming Cities for People and Planet through Integrated Urban Development
Date and Time: TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, 2021 - 8:00 AM TO 9:30 AM Eastern Standard Time (EST)
Cities are home to 4.2 billion people – more than half of the world’s population. These bustling human habitats are where our daily struggles unfold, where we strive to build a better future for ourselves and our families. But cities today face extraordinary challenges, from floods, storms and heatwaves triggered by the climate crisis to hazardous air quality, lack of affordable housing and deep social divides.
How can integrated planning approaches tackle complex urban challenges to ensure a just, livable future for all?
Join us on September 21 during Climate Week NYC to discuss this pressing question. You’ll learn from experts about holistic solutions and strategies to combat urban environmental crises, such as pollution and biodiversity loss. You’ll also hear from local leaders in India, Sierra Leone, and Argentina on how cross-sectoral collaboration is spurring low-carbon growth within their cities.
This event will mark the official launch of UrbanShift, a global program working to transform cities for people and planet through integrated urban development. UrbanShift is funded by the Global Environment Facility (GEF), led by the UN Environment Programme (UNEP), and implemented in partnership with the World Resources Institute (WRI), C40 Cities (C40), ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability (ICLEI), the UN Development Programme (UNDP), the World Bank, and the Asian Development Bank (ADB).
- Carlos Manuel Rodríguez, CEO, Global Environment Facility
- Inger Andersen, Executive Director, UN Environment Programme
- Aniruddha Dasgupta, President and CEO, World Resources Institute
- Mark Watts, Executive Director, C40 Cities
- Gino Van Begin, Secretary General, ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability
- Yvonne Denise Aki-Sawyerr, OBE, Mayor of Freetown, Sierra Leone
- Walter Vuoto, Mayor of Ushuaia, Argentina
- Kunal Kumar, Joint Secretary (Smart Cities), Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, India*
- Claire O'Neill, Managing Director, Climate & Energy, World Business Council for Sustainable Development
*To be confirmed
This event will be live-streamed in the following languages: English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Indonesian Bahasa and Mandarin Chinese.
To learn more about UrbanShift, visit www.shiftcities.org.
Information retrieved from https://wrirosscities.org/events/transforming-cities-people-and-planet-through-integrated-urban-development
Cover Photo by Dorothea Oldani from Unsplash