Why should we care about urban-rural linkages? Managing the impacts of cities on ecosystems, land and climate across the urban-rural continuum
Date and Time: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, from 17:00-18:30 East Africa Time (EAT)
Check time zone converter for the event time in your location.
Online registration is available here.
With this webinar, the co-organizers would like to kickstart the discussion on the need to start actively managing the linkages between cities and the territories on which they depend on -such as rural, peri-urban and natural areas, to benefit ecosystems, renew soil fertility and moderate floods, droughts, and temperature extremes. Naturally, food systems are fundamental to the ecosystems that connect urban and rural communities The management of urban-rural linkages is also necessary to help people, farms and businesses, including also those located in distant communities, to conserve resources that sustain life and enjoy the benefits derived from a healthy environment.
Join us in this initial meeting to start discussing how the Urban-Rural Linkages: Guiding Principles and Framework for Action can be applied in practice for governments and other stakeholders in the context of the Convention on Biological Diversity and the other two Rio Conventions (United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification and United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change).
- Ángel Sánchez, Advisor to the Deputy Ministry for the Environment, Spatial Planning and Sustainability of the Community of Madrid
- Andrew Rudd, Planning and Environment Officer, UN-Habitat
- Joji Carino, Senior Policy Advisor, Forest Peoples Programme
- Kate Newman, Vice President Sustainable Infrastructure and Public Sector Initiatives, World Wildlife Fund.
- Paul Wander, Natural Resources Division, United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean.
More information on this event can be found here.
This webinar is co-hosted by UN-Habitat and the Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD).
Looking forward to seeing you there!