The UN Race to Zero campaign, led by UN High-Level Climate Champions for the UK and Chile, Nigel Topping and Gonzalo Muñoz, partners with the Climate Group to kick off Climate Week NYC.
With contributions from Alok Sharma, Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy and the COP President-Designate, global figures, city leaders and CEOs of the world’s most significant companies, this event frames the zero-carbon growth agenda and brings to life the race to a healthier, fairer, more resilient future underway and accelerating in every part of the global economy.
Race to Zero is the largest ever alliance committed to achieving net-zero carbon emissions in the 2040s, covering over half of GDP and 2.6 billion people. The campaign has snowballed since launching on World Environment Day in June, bringing on board more and more cities, businesses, investors and companies and public bodies who see how a zero-carbon recovery can simultaneously revive the economy, create millions of jobs, advance public health and economic, social and racial justice.
The event will introduce major net-zero announcements, including from companies in some of the hardest to abate sectors and those worst hit by the virus, as well as a new platform for SMEs – finally allowing more than 80% of the world’s businesses and 90% of the world’s employees to engage in the campaign and define their net-zero pathways. Meanwhile, new analysis will shine a light on the state of play of net-zero and financial commitments, taking into account the broad range of approaches from rising numbers of actors who are resolved to achieve their net-zero targets.
- Helen Clarkson, CEO, Climate Group
- Jean-Paul Agon, CEO, L'Oréal Paris
- Yvonne Aki-Sawyerr, Mayor, Freetown
- Dr Arvind Kumar, Founder & Managing Trustee, Lung Care Foundation
- Alok Sharma, Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy and the COP President-Designate
- Brad Smith, President, Microsoft
- Gonzalo Muñoz, High-Level Champion of Chile
- Nigel Topping, High-Level Champion of United Kingdom
- Michael R. Bloomberg, Founder, Bloomberg LP & Bloomberg Philanthropies, 108th Mayor of New York City
- Mr. Suphachai Chearavanont, CEO, Charoen Pokphand Group (C.P. Group)
- Jan Jenisch, CEO, LafargeHolcim