“I present to you THE LINE, a city of a million residents with a length of 170 km that preserves 95% of nature within NEOM, with zero cars, zero streets and zero carbon emissions.” - His Royal Highness Mohammed bin Salman, Crown Prince and Chairman of the NEOM Company Board of Directors.
THE LINE is a never-before-seen approach to urbanization – a 170km-long linear urban development of multiple, hyper-connected communities, with walkable neighborhoods integrated with public parks and the natural landscape. It is a model of urban design and livability in harmony with nature for the 21st century and beyond.
THE LINE will reshape the traditional concept of urban life, enabling NEOM (region in Northwest Saudi Arabia) to become an economic engine for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the region, and the world.
THE LINE will create 380,000 new jobs, spur economic diversification, and contribute SAR 180bn to domestic GDP by 2030.
- Powered by 100% renewable energy, the principles of environmental responsibility will be enshrined in business regulations to promote sustainable and regenerative development practices.
- All essential daily needs will be within a five-minute walk.
- Communities will be built around people, not cars, easily accessible and designed for convenience and walkability, creating vistas of beauty and tranquility.
- THE LINE is supported by a physical and digital infrastructure layer seamlessly integrated beneath the surface and containing essential utilities and transportation services.
- The infrastructure spine will include ultra-high-speed mass transit access to the communities along THE LINE.
- Communities will live in harmony with nature, where open space, parks, gardens, the natural environment and sustainable food production are mixed seamlessly.
- All businesses and communities on THE LINE are hyper-connected through a digital framework incorporating Artificial Intelligence and robotics that continuously learn and grow – over 90% of the data in NEOM will be analyzed to provide a predictive system with ever-improving services to residents and businesses.
- The communities will be self-sufficient and reflect the personality of their residents, the region and the industries within them.
Text and Cover Photo retrieved from https://www.neom.com/whatistheline/