PLASTIC POLLUTION & CITIES: BUILDING MOMENTUM TOWARDS A GLOBAL PLASTICS TREATY
At this circular economy-themed webinar, you’ll hear from experts, city representatives and waste pickers about the causes & consequences of plastic pollution in cities, and what cities can do to initiate a just transition to a plastic-free economy.
- DATE & TIME
- 15 Mar 2023, 11:00-12:00 CET / 13:00 - 14:00 EAT / 15:30-16:30 IST / 17:00-18:00 WIB
- HOSTED BY
- United Nations Environment Programme
Did you know that 75% of all plastic produced has ended up as trash in landfills and water bodies? Cities generate approximately 70% of the world's total waste and suffer costs to human health and the environment. But cities are also a crucial part of the solution, as local governments are often responsible for the collection, transportation and processing of waste.
Recognizing the positive global impact of a circular economy for plastic and the need for common guidelines to close the plastic loop, the UN Environment Assembly adopted a landmark resolution in March 2022 titled “End Plastic Pollution: Towards an international legally binding instrument”.
What are the main challenges and opportunities for cities to tackle plastic pollution? How can local governments engage with UN-led efforts to develop a future Plastics Treaty?
Join UrbanShift on March 15 to discuss these important questions. You’ll hear from experts, city representatives and waste pickers about the causes and consequences of plastic pollution in cities. You’ll also learn about what cities can do to initiate a just transition to a plastic-free economy, including understanding the process for the development of a UN-led global Plastics Treaty.
- Brenda Koekkoek, Programme Manager of the Circle of Excellence on Plastic Pollution, UN Environment Programme
- Nao Takeuchi, Waste Management Expert, UN-Habitat
- Makhosazana (Khosi) Baker, Director: Waste Management & Regulation, Environment and Infrastructure Service Delivery Department, Johannesburg
- Magash Naidoo, Head of Circular Development, ICLEI
- Sharon Gil, Interim Head, UN Environment Programme Cities Unit / UN Environment Programme Cities Technical Lead
If you have any questions about this webinar, please contact Elsa Lefevre.
Retrieved from https://www.shiftcities.org/event/plastic-pollution-cities-building-momentum-towards-global-plastics-treaty
Cover Photo: Pawel Czerwinski / Unsplash