November 9th, 2020 from 16:00-17:30 GMT
Click here to register for the event.
The Race to Zero Coalition: From COVID-19 to COP26 will feature a series of keynote addresses and high-level panels.
C40 Cities presents The Race to Zero Coalition: From COVID-19 to COP26, a high-level virtual event hosted in partnership with the UNFCCC and the High-Level Climate Champions for Global Climate Action on the opening day of the Race to Zero Dialogues.
Join us on November 9th from 16:00-17:30 GMT for a series of exciting keynote addresses and panels featuring mayors from around the world, climate experts, business leaders, activists and scientists. The event will be made up of two panels that showcase how delivering a Global Green New Deal is integral to achieving climate, social and economic justice around the world.
Our first panel will be co-convened with the International Trade Union Confederation and will feature inspirational speakers who are working to achieve a green and just recovery from the COVID-19 crisis.
Our second panel, co-convened with America's Pledge and Climate Mayors, will address the result of the U.S. presidential election and its impact on the future of the Paris Agreement and climate action around the world.
FEATURED SPEAKERS INCLUDE (in alphabetical order):
- Michael R. Bloomberg, C40 Board President, Founder of Bloomberg LP and Bloomberg Philanthropies, 108th Mayor of New York City
- Sharan Burrow, General Secretary, International Trade Union Confederation
- Rakaya Fetuga, Poet & Youth Advocate
- Eric Garcetti, C40 Chair and Mayor of Los Angeles
- Connie Hedegaard (Master of Ceremony), Chair of the KR Foundation, former European Commissioner for Climate Action, and Minister for the Environment and Minister for Climate and Energy for Denmark
- Juvencio Maeztu, CFO, and Deputy CEO, Ingka Group (IKEA)
- Gina McCarthy, Former EPA Administrator, President of NRDC
- David Miller, Director of International Diplomacy, C40
- Hilda Nakabuye, Founder, Fridays for Future, Uganda
- Dr. Maria Neira, Director, Department of Environment, Climate Change and Health, World Health Organization
- Giuseppe Sala, Mayor of Milan, Chair of the C40 Global Mayors COVID-19 Recovery Task Force
- Achim Steiner, Administrator of the United Nations Development Programme
- Leah Stokes, Assistant Professor of Political Science, University of California, Santa Barbara
- Nigel Topping, COP26 High-Level Climate Action Champion
- Sylvester Turner, Mayor of Houston
Register now for event updates, and reminders before the event. Please note: this event will be held in English.
About the Race to Zero and the Race to Zero Dialogues
Race to Zero is a global campaign from the UNFCCC to rally leadership and support from businesses, cities, regions, investors for a healthy, resilient, zero-carbon recovery that prevents future threats, creates decent jobs, and unlocks inclusive, sustainable growth. It mobilizes a coalition of actors, representing 452 cities, 22 regions, 1,101 businesses, 45 investors, and 549 universities. Collectively, the group represents nearly 25% of global CO2 emissions and over 50% of global GDP. The objective of Race to Zero is to build momentum around the shift to a decarbonized economy ahead of COP26, where governments must strengthen their contributions to the Paris Agreement. Learn more here.
The Race to Zero Dialogues are a series of virtual dialogues that will cover climate-related topics, aiming to keep the momentum going on climate change work despite the global COVID-19 pandemic. Learn more here.