Sustainable Coastal and Marine Tourism Webinar Series
Wednesday 18 January 2023
06:00-07:30 GMT (UTC + 0) - Asia/Pacific audience
14:00-15:30 GMT (UTC+ 0) - North America/Europe/Africa audience
According to new research from the High Level Panel for a Sustainable Ocean Economy (Ocean Panel), coastal and marine tourism represents at least 50% of all global tourism and supports millions of jobs and livelihoods worldwide.
The global pandemic revealed the fragility of the current model of global tourism. As the world begins to recover and reopen again, all destinations will be faced with a choice. Either return to business as usual or use this moment as an opportunity to invest in a more sustainable model of coastal and marine tourism that will be prepared to address eminent and future crises, like climate change and biodiversity loss, and which equitably distribute wealth in host destinations to ensure economic well-being of coastal and island nations.
Despite extreme economic hardship, many inspiring stories have emerged over the past few years from coastal and marine areas. This global webinar series will provide an opportunity to hear from experts across the tourism industry on innovation and best practice, with a view to understanding how different actors within the tourism sector are considering the future of coastal and marine tourism.
These webinars will present key insights from the body of work commissioned by the Ocean Panel on coastal and marine tourism, including a special report: ‘Opportunities for Transforming Coastal and Marine Tourism: Towards Sustainability, Regeneration and Resilience’.
They will also provide an opportunity to hear from experts across the tourism industry on innovation and best practice, with a view to understanding how different actors within the tourism sector are considering the future of coastal and marine tourism.
- Arif Havas Oegroseno, Indonesian Ambassador to Germany
- Russell Reichelt, Sherpa to the Australian Prime Minister for the Ocean Panel
- Eliza Northrop, Co-Director, Sustainable Development Reform Hub, University of New South Wales
- Randy Durband, CEO, GSTC
- Wouter Schalken, Senior Sustainable Tourism Specialist, ADB
- Darrell Wade, Co-founder and Chairman, Intrepid Travel
- Anna Spenceley, Chair, IUCN WCPA Tourism and Protected Areas Specialist Group (TAPAS Group) (Moderator)
- Other speakers to be confirmed
North America/Europe/Africa Event
- Peter Schuhmann, Professor of Economics, UNC Wilmington
- Eleanor Carter, Co-Director of Chumbe Island MPA, and Executive Director of Sustainable Solutions International Consulting
- Osbourne Chin, Senior Director, Tourism Policy and Monitoring, Ministry of Tourism Jamaica
- Ilihia Gionson, Public Affairs Officer, Hawaii Tourism Authority
- Mauricio Martínez Miramontes, Strategic Partnerships Coordinator, La Mano del Mono
- Sue Snyman, Director of Research, School of Wildlife Conservation, African Leadership University
- Cynthia Barzuna, Director, Ocean Action 2030 Coalition, World Resources Institute (Moderator)
- Other speakers to be confirmed
Register for the Asia/Pacific event here or for the North America/Europe/Africa Event here.
Cover image by Edgar Chaparro / Unsplash
Retrieved from https://www.wri.org/events/2023/1/sustainable-coastal-and-marine-tourism-webinar-series?utm_campaign=wridigest&utm_source=wridigest-2023-01-11&utm_medium=email